Wednesday 1 August 2012

Swimming Lessons....Are They Worth It?

I have had my kiddos in swimming lessons since they were 2. Having not had the opportunity when I was a kid made me want to provide that to my kids as I am not a great swimmer. We chose to do them in the summer so that they were going everyday instead of once a week because when asking around that is the advice other parents had given us because they found their kids retained the lesson better. My girls are 6 and 4 now and what a huge difference it has made! They can both swim over their heads and do not use life jackets when they are in our pool, which we just purchased this year (52 inches deep). I still make them wear life jackets when I am not near them as safety always comes first but the peace of mind knowing how much their confidence is boosted is priceless! Thankfully I work a lot from home in the summer so I was able to take them everyday for 4 weeks. I would highly recommend swimming lessons daily to anyone! They are even confident enough to go down a fast slide without being caught at the end!
We just finished our 4 weeks on Friday and I have seen my oldest have so much more endurance this year and can swim 8-10 meters and my youngest can swim 3 meters without a break and she can dive for those little swim toys at the bottom of our pool. So we are very happy with what they have learned this year and proud too!


2 comments:

  1. I agree Jamie - swimming lessons are great for kids! I also put my son on a swim team this year ... that really helps take them to the next level and build their confidence in swimming. He loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight Jamie. Swimming lessons have been on my mind for my 3 year old daughter, but with her daily morning school program through the summertime, I felt this Summer would be too much. My gut was telling me to wait until next year at 4 yrs old. I will take your advice and look for a daily swimming lessons package. All the best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete